Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Herbalistic Cookies

Cookies are delectable, but have you ever had a cookie with herbs in them? Well this time for my second blog, I made cookies with mint leaves and rosemary and the result surprised me.
The recipe for the dough it self is from " Crazy About Cookies" by Krystina Castella is:

" Ingredients
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar " (Castella 117)

The recipe book let me chose from a variety of different spices like, lavender, anise, and pepper but mint and rosemary were the easiest for me to do.

So after making the cookies dough, the recipe says to divide the dough ball into two and knead in the spices into the separate balls, (Castella 117). Then roll the ball into a log and cut 1/2 pieces and place on a baking sheet,(Castella 118).

So after they baked, they looked like greem speckled sugar cookies,

 
 
So the ones on the left are the rosemary cookies, and the ones on the right are the mint ones. I tried the cookies after they finished and I preferred the rosemary ones surprisingly, the mint did not have a strong flavor but they had a weird after taste.
 
After making these cookies, I now know that herbs like mint and rosemary add a weird twist to cookies, if I were to make the cookies again Id try to add lavender and cardamom. The thing I will take from this experience is the regular dough recipe, its really great and soft, an holds their shape in the oven, perfect for cutting out shapes to decorate.
 
my question for you is, Have you ever tried a herb/spice cookie or dessert?
 
Bonnie Lengele
 
Citations:
Castella, Krystina. Crazy about Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving.    New York: Sterling, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment