Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Sense And Sensibility

Dear friends,

Today I am in a mood for some good reading and some good quotes, and when I am in that mood there is one great author(ess) I always look up to: Jane Austen!

Jane Austen (16 December 1775 – 18 July 1817) was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature. Her realism, biting irony and social commentary have gained her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Even though she managed to write only 6 books during her time, there is a never ending number of fans  deriving from the endless adaptations on the screen and fan-fictions alike :)

While still alive she released:
  • Sense and Sensibility (1811)
  • Pride and  Prejudice (1813)
  • Mansfield Park (1814)
  • Emma (1816)
With these 4 she achieved success as a published writer :) but she wrote 2 additional novels: Northanger Abbey and Persuasion - they were published after her death in 1818. She also began a 3rd one - which was eventually titled as Sanditon - but unfortunately for all the fans of Jane Austen she died before completing it :(

I have read Janes novels so many times and I have seen all the old and new adaptations that the period movies/books feel some much like home... I have a full shelve of period movies (with multiple versions of Pride and Prejudice :)...) and another one with period books :) (not only Jane Austen but also the Bronte Sisters - proudly owning a huge book that contains all of the Charlotte Brontes works! :)  but we shall speak of her another time!)


So... without any further ado... let the awesome quotes begin :)

  • “The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. I require so much!”
  •  “I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way.”  
  • “It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy;—it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.”  
  •  “What do you know of my heart? What do you know of anything but your own suffering. For weeks, Marianne, Ive had this pressing on me without being at liberty to speak of it to a single creature. It was forced on me by the very person whose prior claims ruined all my hope. I have endured her exultations again and again whilst knowing myself to be divided from Edward forever. Believe me, Marianne, had I not been bound to silence I could have provided proof enough of a broken heart, even for you.” 
  •  “There is nothing lost, but may be found, if sought". [Colonel Brandon reading from The Faerie Queen by Edmund Spenser]

And last but not least:

“‘Do you compare your conduct with his?’
“‘No. I compare it with what it ought to have been; I compare it with yours.’”

Volume III, Chapter X

Following Marianne’s wish that Willoughby’s thoughts are not more unpleasant than her own thoughts, Elinor asks Marianne if she compares her own behavior to his. Marianne says that she compares her behavior to the ideal: Elinor’s in the wake of her disappointment over Edward. This is a clear judgment by Austen on the “sense” and “sensibility” of the two sisters. Elinor’s “sense” is embraced by the former champion of “sensibility,” Marianne, as the right way to respond to life’s trials.

**I didnt receive anything for this review, just wanted to share the love!**

Yours truly,

The Jan Austen Fan LadyBug :)

No comments:

Post a Comment